Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Openness

This afternoon, I had something I wanted to talk to Jen about (this is my son's adoptive mother aka one of the dearest and funniest people I have in my life). I pulled her up on the instant messenger and whipped off a quick "hi!" Now, unfortunately Jen was sick in bed, but fortunately, I got to say hi to Joe and Ian, who were eating "man food" aka PB&J. We didn't talk long, but it was sweet.

It occurred to me later how totally cool open adoption is. Seriously, Jen and I talk all the time on Google Chat. And we email. And I read her blogs (maybe she reads mine, I'm not sure. She's a busy lady). We've even talked about starting up phone calls, though that's likely to be limited, because talking on the phone just isn't my thing.

Open adoption makes life so good. Of course there have to be boundaries. Of course there are limits. But they're set between the birthparents and the adoptive parents and the child, whatever everybody is comfortable with. After that, it's just all good.

I just have to tell you that I think open adoption is the shiz. That's all. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment