Friday, January 21, 2011

Hi, I'm back. Not really coherent, but at least present.

Adoption has ups and downs. I would guess that almost everyone who lives adoption would agree. I guess a broader statement could be that relationships have ups and downs, and adoption is just a more complicated relationship than most.

I've been pretty busy lately. My job is quite demanding, and since I love my job immensely, I end up spending more of my time and energy there than most people devote to their work. Also, my novel is being released next month, and getting published has turned out to be a great deal more work than I ever anticipated. I'm very excited to see it released, and everything which will follow.

However, even with the craziness of day-to-day life, adoption ever lurks in the back of my mind. Some interesting things have happened of late, some things that are not as I would like them to have happened. I'm not sure how to address them at this point. It feels dishonest to pretend as though everything were right and happy, when they're not, but I also don't want to blow things out of proportion.

Last week, I spoke at an alternative high school in Kaysville. I was on a panel with another birthmom, an adoption lawyer, a social worker, and a counselor from a pregnancy crisis center. It was a different experience than anything I've had before. A lot of the students there are single parenting. I looked at them and I just saw babies. Children raising children. It made me really grateful for the education and support that I received while I was making my own decision.

Despite the ups and downs, I know that adoption was the right decision for me, and certainly the right decision for my son. With that in mind, I press forward as an adoption advocate, spreading the word and spreading the love as best as I can.

2 comments:

  1. "My novel is being released next month" . . . AWESOME! Looks like I have some catching up to do on your other blog- Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, and have a question for you…

    “Or so she says…” has long been a proponent for adoption and foster care. In the coming month, I will be launching my new Adoption and Foster Care page. I am looking for any blog posts, written by women ‘who know,’ to be featured on that page, and possibly the homepage of the blog, as well.

    If you are willing to share any of your blog posts about adoption on that page, could you please send me the links to those posts? Also, if you would like to have some of them considered for a front page feature, please include a photo of yourself (with or without fam) and a paragraph about yourself, to blend into the top of the post (written in first person.)

    Also, if you know any other women or blogs that are willing to participate to help promote adoption/foster care, please share!

    Mariel
    www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete